Range and (standard) tuning of a guitar (Wikipedia)
Here's a list of 10 plays on the "experimental guitar" tag radio station via last.fm, roughly sorted in order of preference. The tag's description and then the list:
"Using the guitar to make unorthodox sounds not normally associated with the traditional guitar vocabulary."
- Hash Jar Tempo. Untitled 5 - Well Oiled. Pelt is listed as a similar artist and they did a great version of John Fahey's Sunflower River Blues (YouTube). This song is a long way from American primitive acoustic guitar, though.
- Mukra. Outro - Vergölst. This is edgy, yet almost ambient guitar. It also has the "math" tag but don't know what that consists of. Note also that composer Milton Babbitt doesn't have the "math" tag.
- Zechs Marquise. The High Anxiety Arkestra - Our Delicate Stranded Nightmare. Neo-psychedelia? Weird sounds on top of a pulse. Unlike the artists of the first two tracks, Zechs Marquise has an album on rdio.
- Syd Barrett. Late Night - The Madcap Laughs. Spacey song but 43 years later, it's trad-psychedlia.
- Scissor Shock. your chemistry theories are a waste of f*ing time - The Mars Travolta. From that hotbed of avant-garde music, Columbus, Indiana. I almost took a job there 32 years ago. Nice civic architecture, though.
- Alice Donut - Magdalene. The Untidy Suicides of Your Degenerate Children. I'm not sure the guitar is particularly experimental. Nice drive to the song, though.
- bygones. spray you with your own trip - by-. Guitar and drum hyper- and punkish-rock.
- Raoul Björkenheim. I Told You So - I never meta guitar. This is the most unique guitar sound.
- Pentagonic. Pure Skunk Joint. This sounds like it was recorded in a free-for-all session. From the artist page: "Emphasis on complicating matters of rhythm, melody and (dis)harmony, combining delirium with psychosis and spontaneity with higher-dimensional coherence."
- Satanized. Perineal Wrath - Technical Virginity. A band from Philadelphia, they have also been tagged as "black metal" and "swedish." Mildly interesting guitar part.