I'm listening to full albums this year, rather than other more chaotic approaches. Here's my recent activity:
- Boston Modern Orchestra Project - Stolen Moments [2016 BMOP/Sound]
- Stolen Moments and Piano Concerto No. 2 by David Rakowski.
- Will give this another listen. BMOP may be the leading label for truly contemporary American orchestral music.
- Anthony Burr, Oscar Noriega, Chris Speed - The Clarinets [2002 Skirl Records]
- "The album was recorded in a resonant old church (in upstate NY) surrounded by nature, an environment that inspired the music's subtle shifts in timbre and pitch, enhancing the dreamy yet intense mood throughout the trio’s eight pieces." Skril Records
- "Jazz purists won't find much to enjoy here: these eight pieces (gloriously recorded in the expansive former-church interior of the NACL Theater in Highland Lake, New York in 2005) display an almost-complete absence of tempo, jazz licks or harmonic development." AllAboutJazz
- Boston Modern Orchestra Project - American Muse [2016 BMOP/Sound]
- Rhapsodies, American Muse, and Concerto for Orchestra by Steven Stucky.
- The highlight was probably Sanford Sylvan singing on the middle work.
- Saw Steven Schick at Stanford recently but that's a different California contemporary music Steven.
- Will Long - Rosy Reflections [2015 William Long]
- William Long is apparently a "warm drone" artist, and has some connection with Japan. Mildly and effectively resonant.
- Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (Remastered Edition) [1970 Warner Bros.]
- Apparently, I still consider this the classic Sabbath.
- Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle [1973 Sony Music Entertainment]
- Oren Ambarchi - Hubris [2016 Editions Mego]
- Oren Ambarchi was born in Sydney to an Iraqi Jewish family. Somehow, this is more relevant in 2017.
- Massive Attack - Heligoland [ 2010 Virgin Records]
- Moon Duo - Occult Architecture Vol. 1 [2017 Sacred Bones Records]
- New album by the Moon Duo/Wooden Shjips guys. More rock-ish than hook-ish than previous recordings. I see that they are playing at The Chapel in San Francisco this month, although I've never heard of that venue.
- Various - Shinkei + Mise_en_scene: Leftovers (Reworked) - [2011 Cronica]
- Mogador - Absinthe Tales of Romantic Visions [2014 Mentalchemy Records]
- Some kind of progressive rock. No idea why I added this to my album inbox.
- Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Remastered Edition) - [1970 Warner Bros.]
- Not the most classic Sabbath. Not even particularly interesting to hear Iron Man again.