Everything in its right place... There are two colours in my head. What, what is that you try to say?..
Back home, my grandmother raised their baby and went to work on a bomber assembly line. After the war, they studied on the GI Bill, bought a house through FHA, and moved west in search of opportunity.
I knew Obama had white grandparents from Kansas but never really knew their story nor that of his mother, Ann Dunham (who died of ovarian cancer):
Obama noted in the book that it was Ann rather than his natural father who taught him about the heritage of the African American people. She would come home with books on the civil rights movement, the recordings of Mahalia Jackson, the speeches of Dr. King...
- radiohead in sf photo via foeweel
- via marion, indiana: for most of my life, i was a proud republican...america can't stand more of the same. we need a president who puts barney smith ahead of smith barney...the heartland needs change...
- perfect circle piston plant, hagerstown, indiana. the plant where my mom worked making aircraft parts during ww2.
- another former republican, andrew sullivan: when you absorb the visuals, it doesn't come off like a political convention; it comes off as a mass gathering of ordinary people.
- david sirota: obama himself invoked uprising language explicitly tonight, saying, "change happens because the american people demand it - because they rise up."
- wikipedia: e pluribus unum. narrator of tonight's obama bio