Like Belle Waring, here's what's rockin' my iPod. Although for me this week, I'm apparently living in a kinder, gentler world:
- Mists (from Quartet for Percussion). William Kraft.
- Equinox. John Coltrane.
- En Gallop. Joanna Newsom.
- From the Morning. Nick Drake.
- Know. Nick Drake.
- Everything in Its Right Place. Radiohead.
- Wenn wir in höchsten Nöten sein. Bach. Wolfgang Rübsam.
- My Very Empty Mouth. David Lang.
- Blues for Piano. Conlon Nancarrow.
- Souvenir. John Cage. Teodoro Anzellotti.
I've listened to the colorful Mists a handful of times and it acts as good ambient music, floating in and out of my consciousness. I find Joanna Newsom's harp and quirky vocal blissful and full of despair. David Lang is on Canteloupe Records, which has released their catalog to eMusic this month; this is promising minimalism. In the bottom ten would be Neil Young, the group Madness, and Steve Mackey's Cairn, although I like other works from Joan Jeanrenaud's CD.